While golf may appear simple to the uninitiated, it’s actually one of the most challenging sports in the world and mastering it requires lifelong dedication.
Golf is a game which will frustrate and encourage you at the same time.
While golf is a lot of fun to play, it fun to watch too and any match will be made even more thrilling if you’ve got money on the line. Here’s how to get started with golf betting.
Types of Golf Bets
Before placing your first golf wager, you first need to understand all the golf betting markets available to take advantage of. These are some of the most popular.
- To Win: a simple wager on which golfer you think will win a particular round or a tournament.
- Versus the Field: a clear favourite will come to the fore towards the end of any tournament and a versus the field bet is a wager on anyone else winning the tournament besides the favourite.
- Head to Head Matchups: two golfers are chosen by the sportsbook and you’ll have to select which is of the two will beat the other.
- Futures: a wager placed ahead of the start of a tournament on which golfer will win the tournament outright.
- Prop bets: a wager on whether or not something will happen during a round or tournament, which may or may not affect the outcome of the match.
Golf Betting Strategies
Golf betting isn’t as simple as playing your favourite online slots at Lucky Nugget Casino Canada.
You shouldn’t, under any circumstances, place random golf bets and hope one of them is successful as this is a sure fire way to burn through your bankroll.
Instead, do your research ahead of time and be sure you know the market well. Keep the following tips in mind to increase your chances of success:
- Understand how the different courses require different skill sets
- Factor in the weather as this will have a major effect on the game
- Be careful of media hype, but also ignore your personal bias
- Bet on multiple golfers in a tournament
- Learn to identify value
When it comes to professional golf, the four majors immediately come to mind as the peak of the sport and legends of the game are often remembered by how many majors they managed to win.
- The Masters (April)
- The U.S. Open (June)
- The Open Championship (July)
- The PGA Championship (August)
One of the greatest things about the four majors is that they always present immense betting opportunities, so be sure to hone your betting skills ahead of the best four months of golf betting action.
Golf Betting Tips for Beginners
It’s important to remember that you won’t become a master golf bettor overnight and patience is absolutely imperative. Here are the best golf betting tips for beginners:
- Set a budget and stick to it
- Always bet online for ease of convenience and the most competitive odds
- Always shops the odds across a multitude of online sportsbooks
- Know the market well
Have fun and good luck!